The Coronavirus is slowly moving its way across the country. Whether you agree with the decisions or not, events are being canceled, locations are being closed, and “social distance” is the new norm. These circumstances are causing all of us to be a little more creative with our date night ideas.
What better way to spend a self-quarantine weekend (or two) than on the couch with your significant other (SO) binge-watching some new shows. I do not have a problem starting a show that has already stopped producing new episodes. Sometimes, getting into a show once the hype has died down makes it easier to enjoy it. And, you do not have to wait a full year (or more) for the next season to drop.
Here are some of my favorites. Also, full disclosure – most of these I watched without my SO because he is not much of a TV person. But that doesn’t mean that you can’t watch them with yours.
- Breaking Bad (Netflix) – one of my favorite all-time shows. The writing, the acting, all of it.
- Game of Thrones (HBO) – I didn’t hate the way the series ended as much as most people, but don’t let that discourage you from watching a fantastic series.
- Orange is the New Black (Netflix) – not all seasons were great, but a good series overall
- The Newsroom (HBO and Amazon Prime) – I think Jeff Daniels is amazing in everything.
- House of Lies (Showtime and Amazon Prime) – I watched it specifically for Don Cheadle and I was not disappointed. Ben Schwartz is a bonus.
- Veep (HBO or Amazon Prime) – Julia Louis-Dreyfus won 6 consecutive Emmys for Lead Actress in a Comedy. For a reason.
Old shows I haven’t watched but want to
- The West Wing (Netflix)
- Mad Men (Netflix)
- Curb Your Enthusiasm (HBO and Amazon Prime) – I know there are new episodes, but I never watched the original ones
- The Last Kingdom (Netflix) – Game of Thrones light, but still good.
- Narcos/Narcos Mexico (Netflix) – I haven’t watched the Mexico episodes yet, but the original Narcos was fantastic. You need to be okay with reading subtitles.
- Ozark (Netflix) – Laura Linney should be winning Emmy’s for this role. And I adore Jason Bateman.
- Fleabag (Amazon Prime) – Hilarious. Two words = Hot. Priest.
- Schitt’s Creek (Netflix) – One of the funniest shows on TV right now. I want to be Moira Rose when I grow up.
- Drunk History (Comedy Central and Hulu) – Watching actors perform a comedian’s drunk re-telling of a historical event has to be seen to be believed.
- The Crown (Netflix) – I am fascinated by the history of the English royalty.
- Jack Ryan (Amazon Pime) – Three words = Buff. John. Krasinski.
Current shows I haven’t watched but want to
Before you judge me, I did not watch all of these series this week. Or even this year. Although I will admit that I have stayed up way too late in the past because I HAD to watch the next episode (Breaking Bad). I have also binged an entire season in one weekend with my cousin (Orange is the New Black). Right now, there are no sports being played, most events have been canceled, and many locations have closed their doors (temporarily). This is the perfect time to have a binge-watch date night.
What will you be watching?